Monday, July 30, 2007

Oh my... oh my Havaianas!

Looks like my treasured flip flops are giving up on me one by one. Sadly, this is the second Havaianas to conk out on me this year. I have always believed that this is the most durable brand, hoping that it would endure my slipshod walking for 5 years or so, but I was wrong.

As a matter of fact, my 2 pairs of havaianas got busted in the same manner. Pay attention guys! Although Havaianas are made of resilient rubber, its structure has its most feeble point too. You see, the Y rubber strap may be flexible, but the fraction that is inserted in the side holes are quite brittle. I have the habit of standing on my slippers with my feet slightly skewed, hence, putting all my weight in that fragile section. After a year of squandering my dear slip-ons, 2 out of 11 pairs are now broken. Those 2 were my most favorite pairs. Though I can still have them repaired by
manong sapatero (shoemaker), I'm afraid I cannot use them anymore during gimmicks.

The Havaianas in the picture has gone kaput just this afternoon. The mokongs (my guy office buddies) were very kind enough to temporarily repair it so I could go home without walking barefoot. Being the resourceful guys that we are, we had managed to use a thin wire (commonly found to hold earphones and charger cables) and we had removed its outer cover. Luckily, I have a big perdible pin in my bin, we had used it to create a small hole in the rubber. The funny part was that we were trying very hard to heat up the pin without triggering the smoke alarm. The guys did their best to just inhale the smoke (rubber + heat= stinking smell) so as it wouldn't reach the alarm. Very stupid of us to make a scene in the office when there's no problem in doing it outside. Lol. Anyway, thanks guys!

No comments: